Tips and reminders plus resources on car seat safety:
- Always wear your seat belt – parents should model the behavior we want our children to copy.
- Be consistent with car seat use – no matter who is driving your child. They should always be strapped in a car seat no matter what.
- Never leave your child unattended in a car.
- Always read and follow the manufacturers instructions provided with the car seat.
- Your child should remain rear facing until the age of 2!
- Avoid a used car seat if you do not know its history (should not be older than 6 years)
- Do not use a car seat that has been in a moderate to severe car accident.
- “No one seat is the “best” or “safest.” The best seat is the one that fits your child’s size, is correctly installed, fits well in your vehicle, and is used properly every time you drive.”
- If buying a new car seat, be sure to fill and return the product registration form so you can be informed of any recalls. Or to simply product registration – create an account with We Make it Safer to register all you products in one place.
- Never place an infant car seat or child in a passenger seat that has an activated air bag!
If you have questions or need help installing your car seat, find a certified CPS technician here:
- NHTSA – or call NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888/327-4236
- SeatCheck – or call 866-SEATCHECK (866-732-8243)
- National Child Passenger Safety Certified Technicians – or call 877/366-8154. This site provides information in Spanish and also provides a list of CPS technicians with enhanced training in protection of children with special needs
Watch this video by Baby Gizmo…celebrities sharing car seat safety tips!